Tuesday, July 21, 2026

The Mango Looked Perfect... Until I Cut It Open

 Nature has a way of reminding gardeners that not everything is as it seems on the surface. - The Grey-Haired Gardener

Picture-perfect mangoes— ripe with beauty and awesomeness!

 Just look at the size of this mango.... definitely over 1 pound!        Photos: Shamela Rambadan

A few days ago, I was gifted some large mangoes. I wasn't sure of the variety, but it looked something like a Graham mango—large, attractive, and almost completely blemish-free.

As any mango lover would, I could hardly wait to cut into it.

The flesh looked almost perfect. There was only a tiny black speck, which I trimmed away without a second thought. As I sliced closer to the seed, determined not to waste a single bite, I noticed something unusual—a dark tunnel leading into the seed.

 A flawless mango on the outside, but the seed tells another story—split open by a silent intruder!                   Photo : Shamela Rambadan

From years of working with crops and pests, I immediately suspected the culprit: Mango Seed Weevil.

My curiosity got the better of me.

Instead of stopping there, I decided to play scientist and investigate further. Armed with a knife, I carefully split open the seed.

 This is where I play mango detective! Lol

What I found was fascinating.

The opened mango seed showing feeding damage, frass, and evidence of mango seed weevil activity.     The arrows show the mango seed weevil that I removed from inside the seed

Three adult mango seed weevils were hiding inside. The cotyledon had been partially eaten away, and the cavity was filled with frass (insect droppings). After giving the weevils a quick wash to remove the debris, I managed to get a clear enough photograph.

Pictured here are two adult mango seed weevils recovered from inside a single mango seed.   The other weevil? He wasn't so lucky! LOL         Photo: Shamela Rambadan

As the saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words.

What is Mango Seed Weevil?

Mango Seed Weevil (Sternochetus mangiferae) is a pest that spends most of its life hidden inside the mango seed. The adult female lays eggs on young fruit, and when the larvae hatch, they bore through the fruit and make their way to the seed.

The surprising part is that the mango flesh often remains perfectly edible and shows little or no external damage. Many people never realize a weevil (or weevils) is present until they open the seed.

Should You Be Concerned?

For home gardeners, mango seed weevil is more of a curiosity than a serious problem. The insect feeds on the seed rather than the flesh, so fruit quality is often unaffected.

However, it can reduce seed viability and is considered a quarantine pest in many countries because it can be spread through infested fruit. 

🌍Did you know?

Even though mango seed weevil doesn’t usually affect the fruit’s taste, it’s classified as a quarantine pest in many countries. Travelers who slip mangoes into their luggage risk more than a fine—infested fruit can spread the pest across borders, threatening local agriculture and seed viability. Please resist the urge to do so.

A Reminder for Gardeners

This experience reminded me that even the most beautiful fruit can have a hidden story.

As gardeners, we spend a lot of time looking at leaves, flowers, and fruit surfaces. Sometimes the most interesting discoveries are the ones we don't see until we look a little deeper.

Have you ever cut open a fruit and found an unexpected visitor inside? I'd love to hear your story in the comments.

I hope you enjoyed this garden detective story. The Grey-Haired Gardener shares real-life gardening experiences, pest discoveries, and practical tips from my Caribbean garden.


Grey hair, green thumb, garden savvy

thegreyhairedgardener.blogspot.com



3 comments:

  1. ¡Hola! I have an own-way Julie Mango tree...own-way in that it bears out of season..and often has three cycles of flowers per season. I've found the fruits of latter crops do occasionally get infested with Mango seed weevils. Cheups!! Ive I've observed that infestation in fruits of these latter-season is very evident from the bumpy lesions on the skin. I bag these affected fruit and place the bag in the freezer for about a week (or until I remember) and it's only after this 'treatment' that I toss them in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JoanZ. Thanks for sharing about your “own‑way” Julie! ...lol. (I'd love to have one of those! That way I can get fruit throughout the year!). Those late‑season fruits really do seem more prone to seed weevil, and the bumpy skin is such a giveaway. Freezing before disposal is a smart move—every bit helps to keep the pests in check. Appreciate you adding your tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this interesting information. We have these mangoes in Jamaica. They are called haden mangoes. The first time I saw them, I was very excited and bought some for my grandmother. She loved mangoes. We were disappointed when we cut into them and found the black tunnels. Now I know the cause. Thanks again for the info.

    ReplyDelete

The Mango Looked Perfect... Until I Cut It Open

  Nature has a way of reminding gardeners that not everything is as it seems on the surface. - The Grey-Haired Gardener Picture-perfect mang...